The Poetry + Theology editor for Seminary Ridge Review speaks with internationally-exhibited fiber artist Laurie Wohl. Wohl’s traveling exhibit “Birds of Longing: Exile and Memory” came to Gettysburg Seminary in the fall of 2014. The 14-piece show integrates excerpts from Muslim, Jewish and Christian texts from the Convivencia and from contemporary Middle Eastern poets. Alluding to the oldest traditions of narrative textiles, the pieces in the exhibit include original iconography and mixed media as well as an audio soundscape.
Listen to the insightful and interesting reflections on the current crisis in the Holy Land from the Rev. Dr. Angela Zimmann, who recently returned from serving at the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Jerusalem.
Argentina beyond “Evita”: a bustling nation with a strong professional class, a varied economy (especially agriculture and manufacturing), and exceptional scenery. The younger generation, represented by this team Rotary International team made up of attorney Marinal Ramos, attorney Melisa Cruzat and business administrator Leandro Marquez, is fully aware of the troubles of the distant past but has only experienced democracy and an open society in which women are making themselves felt especially in the field of law.
Dr. Christianson interviews Greg Bowles the On-Site Director of Project Gettysburg-Leon in Leon, Nicaragua. They talk about how Nicaragua, the second poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere next to Haiti, is attempting to address issues of poverty, hunger, and land management. The government is leading the way by making more animals available for farmers. Programs like Project Gettysburg-Leon are working to train local agricultural extension teams, as well as develop health, education, and art centers.
Dr. Strobert speaks with Dr. Eric Crump about the top ten stories in religion for 2013.
The top stories included:
- The resignation of the Pope Benedict
- The election of Pope France and his emphasis on the poor and the reforms in the Curia
- The election of the first woman presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- And more...
Dr. Strobert talks with Gerhard Ulrich, Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Northern Germany about a wide variety of topics including:
- The relationship between the Lutheran Churches in Germany and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Theological education in Germany
- Who are we as Lutherans? What is our particular vocation?
- Examining the various cultures within the German Churches
- Unity versus uniformity
- Discussion of the new church structure in Northern Germany
- Issues within the church with the former Eastern Germany population